Fill your table this Thanksgiving with this easy and mouth-watering pie via your new favorite tool, the iron skillet! Are you ready to taste this amazing pie in your home?
I found this recipe thanks to Taste of Home and cooked it in my skillet
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups cold lard
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 9 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 9 medium)
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in lard until crumbly. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- For filling, in a large bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon and ginger. Add apples and toss to coat. Cover; let stand 1 hour to allow apples to release juices, stirring occasionally.
- Drain apples, reserving syrup. Place syrup and, if desired, bourbon in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and turns a medium amber color. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Toss drained apples with flour and salt. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 10-in. cast-iron or other deep ovenproof skillet. Trim pastry even with rim. Add apple mixture. Pour cooled syrup over top; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Brush milk over pastry; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 45-55 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
1 piece: 633 calories, 30g fat (12g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 169mg sodium, 90g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.